Sunday, June 24, 2007

If you can't stand the heat...

Google weather is putting the temperature in Tunisia right now at 115 F. I'd imagine that's pretty close to reality. It's like stepping outside into a furnace, and yes, you can fry an egg on the sidewalk (where a sidewalk exists).

Lately, the heat has been functioning as a big obstacle to getting anything done. Even the two dogs are sprawled out on the floor by my legs, trying to catch a little breeze from the fan I have pointed at me. I've gone through Season Two of Entourage, read some of the book I picked up back in Minneapolis (The Religion, by Tim Willocks), and experimented with croissant toppings (don't try curry).

Days like this are the hardest, because I don't feel like I'm getting what I should be out of this experience. Summer, in general, is a difficult time to be here. I'm at work 5 days a week, and then have a little bit of downtime, but barely enough for a weekend excursion. On top of that, it's tourist season, so everything is packed and more expensive. What I'm hoping is that I'll meet some more people within the next few weeks to hang out with over here in my new neighborhood - Ariana.

3 Comments:

At June 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At June 24, 2007 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true that Ariana (Tunis in general) is not the best place to be at this season because it's slightly warmer than the other cities (on the coasts), but july is coming soon and i guess u'll be working from 7am to 1pm, which we call "seance unique" and that should leave u with enough time to do sthg exciting or at least to get to the beach :)
Now one more thing, Ariana, and especially " La cite olympique" is a place full of students, cause it's close to the campus and not very expensive in terms of rent, but most of them will be gone by the end of june, so my advice is that u organise ur agenda and plan to move arround a bit. Go to Hammamet, Sousse, Monastir, there's an Amideast in Sousse, i've done my english assessment test over there before joining Aiesec, 4 years ago:)
Now the tip of the day : Try a "Leblebi" after a night out, that will take all the heat out of ur skin, trust me, and plus : it's a cultural experience to remember :)
Cheers, and Enjoy Tunisia :)

 
At June 25, 2007 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Preston said...

If you pray to Al Gore maybe he can reverse the heat

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home