Monday, June 25, 2007

"When are you leaving for Tanzania?"

One of the first things I had to deal with when I applied for a job in Tunisia was recognition by other people. Not surprisingly, Tunisia is not one of those countries that many people know a lot about. I got a lot of "when are you leaving for Tanzania?" and the occasional "Tazmania" (thanks Matt). Recently, a buddy from high school, let's just call him "Dan G." posted on my facebook wall wishing me the best of luck in Tanzania - despite the fact that I have listed, in three separate places on my profile, that I am in Tunisia.


If anyone's interested in learning more about Tunisia - there's a few good resources online - the Wikipedia site isn't bad, if a little contentious. Also, looking at Tunisia geographically is an interesting exercise- it puts a lot of Tunisia's shifting international rulers in perspective, from the Phoenicians (and the strategic location of Carthage), to the Romans, Arabs, Ottomans, Spanish, Italians, French, etc... ( a great book that includes a lot on the geography of the region is Fernand Braudel's two-volume masterpiece on the Mediterranean in the age of Philip II of Spain.)
Tunisia's current situation - as being so close to Europe - is evident in the ferries you see leaving for Sicily and Marseilles, as well as in the general culture. Also, without this blog degenerating into a "Pet Blog" ( I promise that won't happen), Jihad needed a bath today - some stomach troubles, which have been resolved.

3 Comments:

At June 26, 2007 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Brian Dean said...

Yeah, Americans are pretty clueless when it comes to geography, when I went to Taiwan everyone kept saying “he have fun in Thailand”…sigh. And about little Jihad LMFAO you have a twisted sense of humor cuz. Talk to you soon.
Brian

 
At June 26, 2007 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Brian Dean said...

uhhh oppps about my last comment I was under the impression that "Jihad" meant "holy war". I no longer find your kittys name funny I find it touching and poetic....Dean out.

 
At July 20, 2007 at 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh,american don't know about us,why??
there is a big difference bettween tunisia and tanzania

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home