Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Visit to Amideast

On Monday, we had a group of spouses of Congresspeople come through Amideast. They got a quick tour, and then sat in on our English classes with a Tunisian journalist. I had a wife of a Congressman from Boston, and she sat in on my level four class for about 35 minutes. It was a great experience - she asked some questions and got to participate in the class discussion. After they all went over to the American Corner and met participants from the Yes Program. All in all, it turned out to be a publicity coup, since we had some stellar articles written about us the next day in the Tunisian press. Also, the spouses supposedly raved about Amideast, which is always a good thing - and will hopefully translate into more recognition Stateside.

They were all here for only three days - next on the itinerary is Turkey, and then Croatia, and then Italy. It's really not a bad deal - they're staying in some very plush hotels and being ferried around the countries. Gotta love being a taxpayer ;)

Here I've included three of the French-language articles that I got as scans from Lee. Notice that Jeremy makes an appearance in the right photo on the second article.

I've been enjoying myself lately here. I'll post some photos I took at a wedding on Monday as soon as I can. One of the women who comes to Free English Fridays got married, and Kristian and I were there drinking free strawberry juice and doing a bit of schmoozing. Last night I went to the restaurant La Vague (the wave) in Gammarth with Lee and the new teacher, Megan, who graduated from GWU in 2006. We had some excellent cuttlefish, shrimp, and some OK mussels and had some totally drinkable Tunisian rosé. Then we went to an atmospheric Shisha place that is right outside of the terminus of the TGM in La Marsa and had some apple shisha and turkish coffee.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home