Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chemtou


The ruins of the Italian church with one of the jagged sides of the old mine in the background.



When you walk around the backside of the hill, you can explore the actual quarry. There's even a mine shaft open for the courageous.


Relaxing after hiking around the site. This Twins cap always goes with me. Once, I was in Essauoira, a beach-side Moroccan town hosting a large music festival, when this guy randomly walks up to me and asks "are you from Minnesota?" He had made the trek up from Ghana (aka: through Mauritania and the Western Sahara - two rather unforgiving places), and was enjoying the festival as well. So, I keep the hat around as a beacon to Minnesotans. If you ever see a red cap flash by in tunis, stop me and say hi.


One of the many cool artifacts from the Chemtou museum.




Nader demonstratingthe lax control at Chemtou.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home