Thursday, November 1, 2007

Tunisia Tip #1 - Fruits Secs

Here in Tunisia there's quite a few ways in which I profit from experience. I've learned how to interact with people effectively, where to go for my chawarma sandwich, and which cafe has the best Lavazza. I figured I'd share a few random little things I've picked up here that might make your trip to Tunisia easier...

First off, snacking here can be a tough game. If you're like me and you like something savory, not sweet, you're in for a tough time. Most of the snacks are sugary, from the packaged cakes and cookies such as Sablitos, to the pastries. Also, most of the savory snacks are really quite awful. Stay away from packaged potato chips and "Sun Chips" which have nothing to do with the American brand.

The two decent things here are the Bugles and the fruits secs. Bugles are pretty much like the American variety, except for less flavoring. The fruits secs are where it's at. Fruits secs are nuts - and you can buy them at a lot of corner shops. Just look for big plastic containers of nuts or the "fruits secs" sign on a shop. They're a bit expensive here, but 100g of pistachios in-shall should cost in Tunis around 1.600TD, while cashews are around 2TD. It's the most solid option for snacking a in a salt-deprived snacking economy...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home