Thursday, January 24, 2008

Thalatha wa thalatheen

Last night I went out to the headquarters of the Tunisian telecom firm Tunisiana in Les Berges du Lac. My buddy Mehdi, who works for the company (one of two in Tunisia - the other being Tunisie Telecom), invited me out to watch Tunisia play Senegal in the African Cup of Nations. The game turned out to be kind of a bust - Tunisia ended up tying Senegal in a pretty lackluster performance - but I have a good story out of it.


So, Tunisiana had a raffle put on during the halftime. There were 200 numbers given out on small slips of paper. The prizes ranged from blenders to soccer jerseys and soccer balls. I picked up one number when the guy came around. Five minutes later, they came up to the front with the first prize - an Adidas jersey. And, lo and behold, my number was called first among a sea of Tunisians. There was a lot of laughing as I came up to the front for my Tunisian jersey...




After that, I headed over to Kiotori with Mehdi. It's the relatively new Japanese place in Lac. It's honestly not bad - totally average sushi. However, it's pricey - much more than you'd pay for average sushi in the states - and the portions are small. I'd recommend also the brochettes - it was all a lot like the Japanese places that are all over Paris in terms of the menu. You can get fixed menus with soup, salad and little kebabs, or with sushi or tempura. Most of them are between 20 and 30 TND. When you order sushi a la carte it comes as 4 pieces for 6-9 TND, or 8 for 16-20.

I've been trying a fair amount of Asian food lately. On Tuesday I went to "Thai Food" in Ennasr. It's not a bad place. The ambiance is sub-par - lots of plastic chairs (very un-Ennasr), but the food is very reasonably priced and totally OK, if far from spectacular. It's one of the few places you have if you want Asian food in Tunis (or in Tunisia...). The dumplings aren't bad - get them steamed.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home