Friday, July 6, 2007

Menzah Blues

Last night, I went with some friends to check out a Blues concert in the tony suburb of Menzah Six. Corey, who teaches at Amideast, plays Keyboards in a Stevie Ray Vaughn (!!) cover band here called "Triple Trouble"- he's the only non-Tunisian in the group. Triple Trouble, along with a blues band named "Sidi Blues" - two French and two Belgian guys - played a rocking show replete with some great covers. Sidi Blues did everything from Muddy Waters to Elvis, plus a raucous cover of "They Call me the Breeze."

Triple Trouble was an experience, to say the least. The lead singer, who's this young Tunisian guy, does an amazing Stevie Ray Vaughn. They belted out all the hits, and even slowed down and did a great BB King cover. They got about half of the audience up front, dancing and swaying to Voodoo Child.

The coolest part for me was that walking in, I ran into people I knew. I saw Jan, an AIESEC Trainee from the Czech Republic, plus some Tunisians and Algerians I knew. It's nice to feel that a month in, I'm already making a social dent here. Also, the music scene here right now is just amazing. I'm going to see that Kantara group play on the 16th out at the theatre in Carthage.

Tomorrow, I'm heading down to the fantastic Roman Amphitheatre at El Jem to see a Viennese orchestra and ballet performance. I'll take along my camera...

2 Comments:

At July 6, 2007 at 10:53 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

small world in a big world, huh?
glad to hear you had a lovely evening...tonight i will be sitting with james and chris listening to jazz in the sculpture garden on the other side of the world. i dont know if there will be any stevie ray vaughn though.

 
At August 22, 2008 at 6:03 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.myspace.com/momooooo83
Sidi Blues and friends

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home