Monday, November 12, 2007

Update

Posting has been a little slow lately - sorry for the delays. Basically, without internet at home, I don't always have the time at AMIDEAST to sit down and reflect for a while - this last week has definitely been reflection-free. I am teaching two nights a week until 9pm in addition to running the American Corner.

Re: the internet. It turns out that bandwidth was way over capacity here in Tunis, so basically the telecom company just shut off a bunch of lines and took down the telephone poles. Incidentally, that would include my neighborhood... Not exactly a constructive way to solve a problem, but I'm sure people that still have telephone service are talking and surfing the internet free and clear.

This week is "International Education Week," so we're running a lot of sessions on studying abroad in the States. I'm going to lead a few discussions here at the American Corner, and I'll be screening the Graduate and Dead Poets' Society (yes, I know it's high school, but it's available and a good glimpse into some of the differences in educational systems). I think Old School might be pushing it a bit...

This coming Saturday, my sister and my cousin will be visiting for about a week. We initially planned to go down to Tozeur, but it's a long drive. So, we'll probably visit Bizerte, Kairouan, Sousse, El Jem, Dougga, and maybe even Tabarka and Ain Draham. I'm looking forward to having them around and doing some traveling again.

1 Comments:

At November 19, 2007 at 9:04 PM , Blogger JCP said...

That's actually a good point--are there any good "college" movies based on other than KY Jelly wrestling matches and crazy hookups?

All I can think of is van wilder, old school, and of course the original college movie, with John Frusciante: Animal House.

PS: John Frusciante recently died of a heroin overdose.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home