Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The African Leadership Academy and other goings-on

Yesterday at AMIDEAST we had a great meeting with the head of SIT Study Abroad, Mary Lou Forward. They are starting a new program in Tunis this Spring, and AMIDEAST and CEMAT are helping to administrate the program. As it stands right now, I'll be helping out with cultural issues/student support, and we'll see what happens after that - hopefully I'll be accompanying them on excursions as well. Personally, I'm getting very interested in International Education as a field, so this is a great opportunity to continue to immerse myself in that world and see where it goes. For me, I've been able to benefit from several exchange programs, so I'd like to help others do the same.

Today, two young directors from the brand-new African Leadership Academy are here. Now this is a cool program. Their aim is to take 2-4 students from every African Country for the last two years of High School at their campus in Johannesburg. The program is fully funded (and quite well so, at that) and the head of the board of directors is Nelson Mandela. The problem in Francophone Africa is that the school is not on the Baccalaureate System, so there's a risk involved for Bac students (if they want to continue studying on the French system). Of course, in theory they could go to the states, but that involves a significant financial outlay. I hope the issues will be be worked out, because it's a great program with some dynamic ideas.

2 Comments:

At November 19, 2007 at 6:26 PM , Blogger JCP said...

You know, Gridskipper might be saving me from madness in DC...already found an article about dive bars in the DC metro area. BTW, why are they all in Columbia Heights? I had heard from my friend Thomas that was the new place to move to here, but I didnt figure it was a regional Williamsburg

 
At November 20, 2007 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Brownie said...

cultural issues/student support, huh?

Guess that means that I'll be seeing you quite a bit while I'm there?

I'm superpsyched by the way. Do you have any idea about how strict the program is gonna be? Think I might be able to sneak away for a few days for an international conference (in Tunisia)? (I know, I'm being an @nerd...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home